For more than 15 years, The James Beard Foundation has been in the forefront of America’s culinary revolution. Often called “the Oscars of the food world,” the annual James Beard Foundation Awards honor the top chefs, restaurants, food journalists, cookbook authors, and food show broadcasters.
2011 Beard Award
2011 Robb won his third James Beard Award in the Journalism Awards category of “Food Culture and Travel” for the article “The Southerner’s Guide to Oysters,” in Garden & Gun magazine, co-written with Rick Bragg and Francine Maroukian.
2008 Beard Award Nomination
Robb was nominated for a James Beard Journalism Award in 2008 Newspaper Feature Writing about Restaurants and or Chefs category for “Guess Who’s Cooking Your Dinner..”
2006 Beard Award Nominations
Robb was nominated for a James Beard Journalism Award in 2006 in the Newspaper
Writing on Spirits, Wine or Beer category for “Mixing it Up.”
2005 Beard Award Nominations
Robb was nominated for two James Beard Journalism Awards in 2005.
“Grande Plans,” a profile of chef Robert Del Grande, was nominated in the Newspaper Feature Writing About Restaurants and/or Chefs With or Without Recipescategory; and “Sex, Death, and Oysters” was a finalist in Newspaper Feature Writing With Recipes category. (Links open new windows.)
2003 Beard Award Nominations
Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook was nominated for a James Beard Cookbook
Award in the Americana category in 2003.
Robb was also nominated for James Beard Journalism Awards for Newspaper Series and for Newspaper Restaurant Reviews.
The Future of Fusion (newspaper series)
all link will open new windows
The Barbecue Ward (review)
Something About Larry’s (review)
The Future of Fusion (review)
Previous Beard Nominations
- 2001 nominee — Best Newspaper Writing about Wine, Beer and Spirits
Getting Stomped, Houston Press
- 2000 nominee — Best Magazine or Newspaper Series
A Six-Part History of Tex-Mex, Houston Press
(Opens new browser window)
- 2000 nominee — Best Newspaper Writing without Recipes
The Art of Smoke, Houston Press
- 1999 winner — Best Radio Segment on Food
Spam Luau, NPR Weekend Edition Sunday
- 1996 nominee — Best Magazine Feature Writing without Recipes
War of the Cheeses, American Way Magazine
- 1996 winner — Best Magazine Feature Writing with Recipes
Hot Sauce Safari, American Way Magazine
- 2005 Bert Greene Award for Food Journalism, Newspaper, “Sex, Death and Oysters,” Houston Press
- 2004 Katie Award, Specialty Feature, Major Market Newspapers, “Barbecue in Black and White: Carving the Racism Out of Texas Barbecue Mythology” Houston Press
- 2004 Association of Alternative Newsweeklies Editorial Awards, Winner, Food Writing,